Stylish B&B rooms, luxury loft and appartment in Haarlem center
Almaar cheese market
When and where
The cheesemarket Alkmaar 2014 will take place from
April 4th untill september 5th, every friday from 10 am
untill 12.30 pm on the Waagplein.
Thousands of visitors from all over the world visit Alkmaar for its cheese market,a particular spectacle
which includes a market filled with cheese and hauling cheese carriers. In 1365 Alkmaar was granted weighing rights and a weighing scale, and in 1612 this numbr increased to four. Exactly when the first cheese market took place is shrouded in mystery. Old documents have been found that confirm the cheese market definetly took place in 1622, but there is also evidence that the cheese bearer's guild was founded in 1593; we can therefore deduce that there must have been a cheese market at that time as well.
Program (subject to confirmation):
- 09.50: Welcoming the visitors
- 09.55: Introduction of the bell-ringer
- 10.00: The bell is rung and the market is opened
- 10.05 - 10.50: Verbal presentation to visitors,
in Dutch, German, English and French
- 10.50 - 11.15: Performance by the carillon
- 11.20 - 12.05: Verbal presentation to
visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French
- 12.15 - 12.45 : Performance by the carillon
- 12.30: Cheese Market closes
Website The Almaar cheese market, click here
How to get to Almaar by public transport
From Haarlem Central Station there are direct trains to Almaar. From platform 5 leaving 12 and 42 minutes past the hour.